Monday, September 29, 2008

A Beginning to the Blog

So, for a long time now, I have wanted to start a group, or a non-profit or something, anything that will connect young women with countless role models from the past. You know, the ones that don't show up in the history books because well let's face it, their contributions were often times limited expressly due to their gender.

I am a feminist, although I shy away from saying so because there is such a negative connotation to that word in our society. Let me clear a few things up; I believe that feminism is an egalitarian venture. I do not think women are better than men, that they deserve more liberties, or greater standing in society. I have a wonderful fiance who looks to me as his equal. Although our abilities and strengths differ, we are able to look at one another as peers and find joy in the fact that with our powers and prowess combined we could, in fact, rule the world. Okay, maybe not, but the point is we respect one another as capable people.

Some may say that because this blog focuses on womens' roles throughout history, it is in direct conflict with the concept of egalitarianism I spoke of in the last paragraph. I disagree on the sole fact that I am merely playing catch-up with hundreds of history books through which women have been all but erased. I will however, make a promise to include men who supported and held up the women in these posts.

No comments: